Welcome! My name is Melissa and I’m a Registered Dietitian with a passion for all things delicious. I became a dietitian for one simple reason: I love food. As I started learning more and more I became fascinated with not only how food impacts our body, but our mind as well.
After working in the field for a couple years, I started to realize that these weight loss diets I was helping people with just don’t work. For a little bit, sure, but long-term I was seeing so many people go from one extreme to the other. I could also see the toll that that took not only on their bodies, but their mental health as well.
I’m not going to lie, I’ve gone through the same struggles. For as long as I can remember I’ve submitted to the idea that shrinking my body was the way to be happier and healthier. After years of “I’ll just start again on Monday,” I finally said “enough!”. I was sick of living my life on a diet.
That is when I discover the power, and science, of Intuitive Eating and Health at Every Size. I learned that the path to happiness wasn’t shrinking my body, but eating the food I wanted, in a way that made me feel good, and moving my body in a way that made me feel good. That is why I’m here today.
I want to help you ditch fad diets and stop putting your life on hold. No more eating what you SHOULD, or exercising because you HAVE to. No extreme dietiting, only to feel like you’ve failed when you gain all of the weight back. It’s time to start listening to and embracing your body, and eating food that you enjoy and that makes you feel good.
My Journey as a Registered Dietitian
I received my Masters of Science in Nutrition from Meredith College in 2015, and went on to complete my dietetic internship there as well. I became a dietitian in 2016 and have worked in a variety of settings since then. Most recently I’ve worked with Diabetes Prevention and Hypertension, as well as helping other dietitians grow their businesses. No matter what population I work with, I always do my best to bring Intuitive Eating principles to the conversation and take weight out of the equation.
Fun Facts about me:
- I have two very lazy dogs named Barney and Brody.
- I’m an Aries sun, pisces moon, scorpio rising. And yes, I probably will try to guess your zodiac sign too. Sorry not sorry.
- Although I’ve failed two years in a row, I’m determined to have a thriving garden and grow my own food.
- I love traveling. My favorite country is Italy because I studied abroad and went on my honeymoon there. Plus… pasta.
- I love reading and it’s what I do in much of my free time. Currently, my favorite books are The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, The Song of Achilles, The House in the Cerulean Sea, and Call Me by Your Name.
- I have too many plants.
- I’m an enneagram 4.
- The sunshine does wonders for my mood.
- Although I’ve moved around the city a lot, I’ve lived in Raleigh most of my life.
- Matcha is my love language.